The fall protection systems utilised for managing hazard of arresting a person’s fall from a working level consists of connectors, anchorage,full-body harness.
For fall arresting approved fall protection systems should be used.
The components of the personal fall protection system must be visually examined before each use for damage in any.
Anchorage points must be capable of withstanding 2500 kg for fall arresting system.
The following are the 2 fall protection systems.
1.Lanyard fall protection systems
Lanyard is a device having 1.8 m length with one end connected to the anchor point and another end is attached to the “D” ring positioned on the upper back straps.
The following are the few cases where Lanyard fall protection systems can be utilised.
- Double lanyard with a full-body harness should be worn when work demands persons closer than 1.8 m from edges of roofs, slabs without floor opening or parapets.
- Double lanyard with a full-body harness should be utilised by persons where work needs persons to walk or move from one place to another for changing work locations at height and where it is not feasible to provide guarded scaffolding and platforms.
2. Lifeline fall protection systems
Between two fixed anchorage points an anchoring rope is rigged for helping the person movement with his full body harness drop line or lanyard anchored to it.
This arrangement is made on a long length of pipelines, structure when persons have to move horizontally and where side rails are not available and scaffolding erection is not possible.
Ensuring the shortest possible length, a sufficient degree of sag, sufficient shock absorption and design strength proportional to the number of workers who shall utilise this lifeline fall protection systems.
The following are the few hazards when persons use a temporary platform to work at heights.
- Falls from height
- Unsafe access to the work platform
Falls from height
Persons Falls from height can be prevented by utilising approved working platforms and by utilising fall protection systems.
Plank, board and decking are used as a working platform in the construction field. This platforms should be of uniform size, capable of supporting the load of the workers and should meet the relevant standards.
Nonskid surface materials are used for working platforms.
The following points should be kept in mind while fixing and utilising working platforms for managing hazards.
- At every uppermost floor, the working platform is provided at the edge or around the face of the building at any level where construction work is to be performed.
- On each bay of scaffold, a platform should be designed for withstanding the number of building workers, materials, tools carried out during the working process.
- Maximum Number of workers to be utilized and the safe working load should be displaced at the construction site.
- At each bay of a scaffold not more than two working platforms are utilised for supporting materials or building workers.
- To prevent injury from falling objects, materials proper safety measures like usage of safety nets should be practised.
- Except for allowing access, there should not be any other openings in working platforms.
- On scaffold Safe ladder is utilised for accessing from one platform to another platform.
Best practices of platform widths
|S. No||Description of work||Platform width|
|1||Platform utilized for the deposit of materials||0.9 m|
|2||Platform utilized as a footing only||0.7 m|
|3||Platform utilized for supporting higher platforms||1.1 m|
|4||Platform upon which bricks or stones are dressed||1.3 m|
|5||The platform utilized for supporting higher platform and is upon which bricks or stones are dressed||1.5 m|
Safe use of Ladders
For climbing between two different levels ladders are utilised.
The following points should be kept in mind while utilising Ladders and for managing hazards.
- Usage of fall protection systems is not required if persons working on a step ladder with feet less than 2 m above the floor.
- For working height, greater than 2 m above the floor usage of fall protection systems is must for persons working on a step ladder.
- If tie-off point is not available, to provide better stability the second person should hold the ladder.
- When working from a ladder where the harness is not utilised, the person to reach objects stretching should be avoided.
- For jobs where leaning over a ladder is required, ladders should not be practised.
- Wood ladders and portable metal ladders should be utilised while performing any electrical works.
- For all ladders should do maintenance and routine inspection should be done.
- Damaged or broken ladders should be repaired or removed.
- Placement of ladders should be on firm ground, should be secured at intermediate and top positions to maintain rigidity and to support loads imposed on them.
- Where the height of the scaffold platform exceeds 3.75 m, it is recommended that not to practice portable ladders.
- Rung spacing of ladders should be more than 300 mm.
- All fittings or metal parts of ladders should be made of wrought iron, steel, malleable cast iron or other equivalent materials.
- Clear distance between the Monkey ladder and cage strip should not be greater than 700 mm.
- While a working person should face the ladder and when it is not possible to work facing a ladder, fall protection system should be utilized by anchoring properly.
- The ladder should place at least 75 degrees to the floor and should extend 1 m above the landing point and the topmost 3 rungs should be utilised.
The above fall arresting systems can be utilized for managing hazards by utilizing lifeline, ladders safely.
Also learn safe scaffolding erection and dismantling steps.
Read Also :